The Stone of Memory
The Stone of Memory, East London
The Buffalo River mouth, around which the town of East London was established in 1848, was far removed from the land allocated to the 1820 Settlers in the Lower Albany district. Nevertheless, a small scale memorial related to the mass settlement scheme was installed in East London, on Settlers’ Way on the West Bank. Known as ‘The Stone of Memory’ it is now situated on the southeast corner of Union Ave and Botha Road in Selborne, in close proximity to Clarendon High School for Girls, The Guild Theatre and Selborne College. A history and description of The Stone of Memory is set out below.
Daily Dispatch, 9 July 1953
Daily Dispatch, 2 September 1955
Daily Dispatch, 17 August 1962
Daily Dispatch, 18 October 1962
Daily Dispatch, 11 February 1972
Daily Dispatch, 17 May 1972
Daily Dispatch, 4 September 1973
East London Industrial Areas: Chiselhurst, Gately & Arcadia. The Bodleian Industrial
Analysis Maps, Bodley Publishing House, Published by Rand Mines, 4.10.1968.
Archived copies of articles from the Daily Dispatch and the map kindly provided by Glenn Hartwig, Reference Librarian at the East London Public Library.
Copyright (c) 2021 The Coelacanth
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.