Visit to and History of Hilton Farm and St Peter’s Church
Keywords:Albany -- History, South Africa -- History -- To 1836, Eastern Cape (South Africa) -- Colonization, Hilton (Farm) -- History, St Peter’s Church -- History
AbstractBefore the arrival of the 1820 settlers, Hilton was owned by Philip Schutte and was known as ‘the loan place Roodekraai- (Red Bend)’. In 1823 Harry Rivers was granted the farm on ‘perpetual quitrent.’ He, however, was transferred to Swellendam at his own request and in 1825, the property was transferred to Messrs Lee and Cock [William Cock and Lee entered into a butchery partnership in the early-mid 1820s-Ed]. Ten years later Coenraad Frederick Scheepers had the farm for a very brief period.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Lower Albany Historical Society
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In compliance with the South African Copyright Act 98 of 1978, the copyright of published articles resides with the authors. The Society retains to right to distribute articles as published within the journal.